Thursday, 14 March 2013

The Story of Milagres Church in Mangalore




Milagres Church is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Our Lady of Miracles, situated in the heart of Mangalore city. Established in the year 1680 by Bishop Thomas de Castro, it is one of the oldest churches in Dakshina Kannada. While the Church itself is a magnificent piece of art; there’s more to it than just that; it is a place where Mother Mary’s devotees come from far and near to venerate her. This Church in the heart of the city stands tall; if it does so it is because of the industrious nature of its past parishioners and the Goan, European and Mangalorean priests who have rendered unstinted service to the church during the 339 years of its existence....

Domain Registration 2

The Milagres Church located in the city centre, in Hampankaata, Mangalore has a long history; the Portuguese called it: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Milagres, and now known as Church of Our Lady of Miracles is a historic Roman Catholic Church built many times over. The Church was first built in 1680 by Bishop Thomas de Castro. The original structure (1680-1784) was constructed at the site of the present day cemetery. It is one of the oldest churches in South Kanara.


History:
Mangalore has a substantial Roman Catholic population and Mangalore occupied a prominent place in the church administration in the 17th century. However, the Goan Catholics who migrated to Canara and most of the migrant priests returned to Goa when the Portuguese withdrew from the region. In 1658, a Carmelite missionary, Fr Vincento Maria de Santa Catharina visited Canara and reported to Rome the miserable state of Christianity in the region. The Vatican came to the aid of the Canara Christians and appointed Bishop Thomas de Castro as the Vicar Apostolic of Canara and Malabar in 1674. He arrived in Mangalore in 1677, and received a piece of land from Keladi Queen Chennamma as gift. After the church was constructed in 1680, he took up residency in the quarters. Bishop de Castro died on 16 July 1684, and his remains were buried in the south eastern corner of the cemetery. The grave still exists with a bronze slab, next to the St Monica Chapel.



After the death of the Queen Chennamma, the land was taken back by her successor, King Basavappa. In 1715, a local priest Fr Pinto secured the land back again from Somashekara II. His nephew Fr Alfred Pinto who succeeded him, built a new church at the present site in 1756. In 1763, Canara came under the control of Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan in 1782. It is said, believing that the local Christians            had conspired against him along with British during the second Anglo-Mysore War, Tipu captured around 60,000 Mangalorean Catholics on Ash Wednesday, on 24 February 1784 and herded them to his capital at Srirangapatanam and kept them prisoners. He also destroyed 27 churches including Milagres Church.

Present structure:
After Tipu Sultan was killed by the British during the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War on 4 May 1799, the Mangalorean Catholics were freed from captivity and returned to Mangalore. Among the returnees was a baker, Lawrence Bello, who built a chapel to replace the demolished church on the same site at the cost of Rs 400. Fr Mendez, the Vicar Apostolic secured the necessary furniture, and together with Tipu’s former munshi Salvador Pinto, raised funds and obtained a grant of Rs 600 from the government to build the church. He laid the foundation stone for a new spacious church in 1811. In 1911 the fa├žade of the church collapsed following which the then incumbent Parish priest Fr Frank Periera erected the present church with Fr Dimanti SJ as the architect. A portico was added later to the structure. Today though old, Milagres church stands tall reminding all of the history and growth of the city of Mangalore. It is a prominent structure in Mangalore though many tall buildings have come up around, that reminds you of the struggle of the people to keep their faith live against various odds.

Also read:     Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church, Goa

The Velankanni Basilica, Velankanni




Ayurved clinic -Turmeric Capsules - Immuno-defense





MyPost


Olive oil can do wonders
A study published in the journal Molecular cell, suggests that it is the fat in olive oil which activates a pathway in cells known to increase lifespan and prevent aging-related diseases. According to researchers, merely consuming olive oil is not enough to elicit all the health benefits.

The study also found that following a Mediterrean diet for a year could help keep the mind sharp and reduce fraility in old age.The Mediterrean diet which is commonly referred to as heart-healthy way of eating, has been linked to a number of potential health benefits. Researchers have found that olive oil in their diet may hold the key to improving lifespan and mitigating aging-related diseases, a compound called resveratrol.



..................................................................................................
Picture Post
Vellore Fort, Tamilnadu, India
...................................................................................................................................

…………………………………………………………………………………….....



*Your comments are welcome. We value them, to make the blog better.
*Guest writers are welcome. Tell us about the subject. Get in touch.
*Please share this blog
…………………………………………………………………………….................




Aneela Nike Post

Anil Naik

WhatsApp: 91 9969154602
Email: akn929@yahoo.com


.....................................................................................................................................
Post your *Banner ads *Sponsored Post on Aneela Nike Post, WhatsApp: 9969154602  Email: akn929@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a comment